I love green bean casserole and when I first started eating low carb, I though that it was a dish that could be easily converted. I found several but this is my favorite by far. I make it frequently and most people who have tried it love it as well.
DOTTIE'S GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE
- 16 ounces of frozen french cut green beans, cook according to directions on your package
- 4 ounce can mushrooms, drained well
- 1 small onion, sliced into very thin rings, 2 1/2 ounces
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Sauté the onion, celery and mushrooms in the butter until very soft and a little browned, about 20 minutes.
- Combine all of the ingredients in a greased 1 1/2 quart casserole or 8x8" baking pan.
- Bake at 350º, uncovered, 30 minutes or until nicely browned and bubbly.
Makes 6-8 servings
Can be frozen
- It increases the carb count, but I do add a few fried onions on top.
- I have tried Pepper Jack cheese as well and did not like the result.